Saturday, January 28, 2012

Putting the pot on to simmer

Photo credit: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=345
Welcome to my new blog!

I'm a work-at-home accountant by day and a wife by day and night.  I handle most of the grocery shopping, meal planning and cooking for my husband and myself.  Over the past few years, I've started to take a lot more enjoyment out of cooking great meals.

I *think* I'm approaching the status of "gourmet cook."  I believe in high quality ingredients and cookware.  If we had a better kitchen, ie more room and a gas-powered range (vs the electric one we have) I do believe I could achieve that coveted "gourmet" status.  Until then I suppose I shall be an "almost gourmet."

The older I get, the more picky I am about what we eat, what I take the time to prepare, what ingredients I use and the equipment I use to cook it.  I find that as we age, food becomes more of an experience to savor and less of a means to supply our bodies with energy.  We become more selective about what we eat, choosing quality over quantity.  And as our budgets grow and allow, we are much more likely to buy (and use!) that $30 bottle of rare, aged balsamic vinegar over the (much!) cheaper stuff out there.  A high-quality aged balsamic can add so much depth to a recipe.

My mother was a true gourmet cook when I was growing up and she taught me much of what I know with the basis to not be afraid to be adventurous and try new ideas.  As a result of that, I am very confident in the kitchen and I am often composing completely new recipes in my head.  I rarely follow a recipe completely and often change or add ingredients.  99% of the time, the recipe is improved.

I often post on Facebook about what I am cooking and many of my friends seem to enjoy my posts.  So, I decided to start writing this blog as a diary of my cooking adventures with pics and recipes.  I enjoy writing and this will be a nice diversion from my busy accounting life.


No comments:

Post a Comment